I saw my first Jacaranda coming out today. It's like seeing the first bluebell

MARYROSE02

I thought I saw one off Oxford St, in Darlinghurst but wasn't sure, then I definitely saw another one in New South Head Road, Double Bay.

If you've never seen one in bloom before, you are in for a treat!

It's as if they 'hide' themselves for about ten months of the year because you'd never notice them. Then, suddenly, they burst out with their glorious violet/blue colour as if to say, 'HERE WE ARE!'

All around the harbour, and in other parts of the city you see these lovely patches of colour and they make a carpet on the roads too.

Love jacarandas sure sign summer is on it's way.

You are SO right. I was looking out for my first one. i did the same with the bluebells in the little copse in my village. If you said to me, 'Right, Dave, which you do want? Bluebells or Jacarandas?' I could not make the choice!

I can never recognize flowers, plants, trees. I wish my Mum was still here although it was English fauna that she could recognize. I would sometimes bring a few back from a bike ride. Funny, how it changes your perspective from thinking 'they are all just weeds' to 'what an amazing variety of wild flowers, grasses, sedges!' I wonder if they do an 'Observer's Book of Aussie wildflowers here!'

Best place that I have seen for jacarandas is Toowoomba. All along Ruthven Street and most of the parks, jaccas are in flower. Very beautiful trees and fairly well scented, too.:yes:

Jacarandastoowoomba.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

That's wonderful! Really brings it home to me. Grafton has a festival doesn't it - must be on about now, maybe earlier as they flower earlier the further north you go??

Not many people out walking in your photo so I guess it's not 'walking' weather? Unless you enjoy someone holding a hairdryer up to your face?

PS, I woke up early - 5am - turned on the radio - was on 702 ABC local radio - and the fishing programme was on 'The Big Fish'. I would not normally listen but i was in bed and it was interesting. His first guest was a Pommie too, from Cornwall, emigrated in 1990 to become prominent in NSW and VIC Fisheries Departments.

I guess that is the mark of a good presenter - when he can make a subject you are not normally interested in seem VERY interesting!

That's wonderful! Really brings it home to me. Grafton has a festival doesn't it - must be on about now, maybe earlier as they flower earlier the further north you go??

Not many people out walking in your photo so I guess it's not 'walking' weather? Unless you enjoy someone holding a hairdryer up to your face?

PS, I woke up early - 5am - turned on the radio - was on 702 ABC local radio - and the fishing programme was on 'The Big Fish'. I would not normally listen but i was in bed and it was interesting. His first guest was a Pommie too, from Cornwall, emigrated in 1990 to become prominent in NSW and VIC Fisheries Departments.

I guess that is the mark of a good presenter - when he can make a subject you are not normally interested in seem VERY interesting!

Contrary to popular "Western Films", most people work indoors...:wink:

Nicely put.Amazing how some blokes have that abilityicon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Forgot to add that Grafton had a lot of the old jaccas cut down due to rot. Our jacca has just about finished flowering.

I thought I saw one off Oxford St, in Darlinghurst but wasn't sure, then I definitely saw another one in New South Head Road, Double Bay.

If you've never seen one in bloom before, you are in for a treat!

It's as if they 'hide' themselves for about ten months of the year because you'd never notice them. Then, suddenly, they burst out with their glorious violet/blue colour as if to say, 'HERE WE ARE!'

All around the harbour, and in other parts of the city you see these lovely patches of colour and they make a carpet on the roads too.

Been out for a while up here....they signify uni exam time here...I love them as well. :cool:

They are beautiful colours.... Since being here I have been trying to learn the names of plants and birds etc. There is a bush/tree overhanging our fence I think it is called bottlebrush, with red bushy flowers. Two lorikeets come to it everyday and eat/drink the nectar! As a newley arrived person I naturally think this is amazing LOL

Contrary to popular "Western Films", most people work indoors...:wink:

Nicely put.Amazing how some blokes have that abilityicon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Forgot to add that Grafton had a lot of the old jaccas cut down due to rot. Our jacca has just about finished flowering.

I did not know that about Grafton and I always 'grieve' when I see a tree stump. I know that, sometimes, they have to take them down for the same sort of reason that dentists take your wisdom teeth out.

Those stumps remind of headstones and I guess trying to count the rings (which I always do) is like reading the epitaphs?

There are a few places here where people have poisoned trees so they have a better view of the sea. I think the Councils should erect those artificial trees that I've seen in England that conceal mobile phone masks.

So if your jacca has nearly finished they do start in the north and work their way down?

You don't live in a 'Queenslander' do you? I always fancied one of them and I also knew that I was getting closer and closer to QLD going up through NSW.

They are beautiful colours.... Since being here I have been trying to learn the names of plants and birds etc. There is a bush/tree overhanging our fence I think it is called bottlebrush, with red bushy flowers. Two lorikeets come to it everyday and eat/drink the nectar! As a newley arrived person I naturally think this is amazing LOL

I was down at Redleaf yesterday and I asked two separate blokes if they knew the name of a HUGE tree that grows on the northern fence. It has a straight smooth trunk. Neither of them knew but one stopped to chat whilst the other said 'sorry, mate, I'm from NZ,' 'So you have different trees there then?' I replied.

I suppose that getting to know and love the local wild & plant life is a measure of how far you are along the road to settling in?

Not 'better' or 'worse', not 'blackbird' v 'kookaburra', or 'oak' v 'gum' just different, both making you nostaligic/sentimental?

I did not know that about Grafton and I always 'grieve' when I see a tree stump. I know that, sometimes, they have to take them down for the same sort of reason that dentists take your wisdom teeth out.

Those stumps remind of headstones and I guess trying to count the rings (which I always do) is like reading the epitaphs?

There are a few places here where people have poisoned trees so they have a better view of the sea. I think the Councils should erect those artificial trees that I've seen in England that conceal mobile phone masks. I think the councils should raze those peoples' houses. We have one such couple. I mentioned to her that they were the first line of defence in a "blow" and asked her what she would do if a cyclone blew her house down because of her actions...Her reply was, "Oh, I didn't think of that.":arghh:

So if your jacca has nearly finished they do start in the north and work their way down?

Started about 4 weeks ago

You don't live in a 'Queenslander' do you? I always fancied one of them and I also knew that I was getting closer and closer to QLD going up through NSW.

No

Cheers, Bobj.

Their place of origin, olly.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj

So we were reminded by the South Africans Bobj, and we reminded them that the lovely gumtrees all around their countryside were Aussie trees - driving in outer Jo'burg was like being right at home scenerywise.

Archived